Indies Only Playlist for June 5, 2021
New music from names like Ghost Woman, Maple Glider, and Plizzken were highlighted this past week but I think one name and one song stood out from the others.
The Black Keys recently released an album entitled Delta Kream that features covers of songs originally performed by blues musicians from the Hill Country of Mississippi. You've heard me say that The Black Keys record is one of my favorites so far this year, but that's because I grew up two hours from the Hill Country and have loved the music emanating from there for years!
My favorite blues singer, R.L. Burnside, is one of its most famous residents and his grandson, Cedric, has recently taken the music he learned from his grandfather all the way to the Grammy Awards.
This week we highlighted that sound with 'Step In' from his I Be Trying record, due out on June 25th. A two-time Grammy Nominee, Burnside exemplifies a form of blues unlike any other. Hill Country blues is all about that groove!
That being said, the aforementioned track stood out and set the show on a track that hopefully awakened your musical senses.
Here's how the show played out...
- Wallice - Off the Rails
- Cedric Burnside - Step In
- Orson Wilds - Dec. 19
- Kat Von D - Exorcism
- Samia - Show Up
- Ghost Woman - Dead and Gone
- Rostam - These Kids We Knew
- Julia Jacklin - Army of Me
- Natalie Bergman - Paint the Rain
- Sports Team - Happy (God’s Own Country)
- Bachelor - Back of My Hand
- The Mountain Goats - Dark In Here
- Maple Glider - As Tradition
- Curtis Harding - Hopeful
- Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen - Like I Used To
- Tristen - Complex
- Low Hummer - The People, This Place
- Islands - Carpenter
- Angels & Airwaves - Euphoria
- Squirrel Flower - Flames and Flat Tires
- Rowan - Everybody Talks
- Sam Evian - Easy to Love
- Charmer - Diamond
- Gulfer - Look
- The Linda Lindas - Racist Sexist Boy
- The Zolas - Yung Dicaprio
- Jackie Hayes - omg
- Southern Culture on the Skids - Call Me
- Remember Sports - Sentimentality
- Crooked Teeth - Light Me Up
- Faye Webster - Cheers
- Tim Atlas - Courtside
- Latewaves - Almost Famous
- Turnstile - Mystery
- Durand Jones and the Indications - Witchoo
- Current Joys - Money Making Machine
- Yoke Lore - Seeds
- Spud Cannon - You Got It All (NOT)
- Plizzken - Dear All Happy People
- The Goon Sax - In the Stone
- pure xtc - Ghost
- Garbage - Wolves
- Foxing - Go Down Together
- Left Field Messiah - Feels Like Summer
- Whale & The Wolf - Veins
I hope you were able to listen to the show and found a few new artists you were into. If not, you'll have another chance every Saturday night from 9 pm-12 am. Follow Indies Only on Instagram for a peek at some of the music coming each week!