What has Been Closed in Tuscaloosa?
The COVID-19 Coronavirus has caused significant changes to our day-to-day lives and with one confirmed case in Tuscaloosa County according to Mayor Walt Maddox several institutions have closed or suspended operations.
- The University of Alabama has extended Spring Break until March 30 and plans to move to online classes for the time being upon resuming.
- The Alabama spring sports schedule is cancelled for the remainder of the season.
- Alabama spring football practice has been delayed from opening and the SEC has mandated no team activities until April 15 - no word yet on how that affects A Day.
- Tuscaloosa City Schools are closed until April 6.
- No Athletic events will take place during the closure.
- Tuscaloosa City and County schools have canceled field trips and events where 500 or more people will gather.
- This includes athletic events, plays and performances.
- Publix Grocery Store announced it will move its closing up to 8 p.m. each night to thoroughly clean the store each evening.
- Shelton State has extended its Spring Break until March 27 and plans on moving to online classes for the time being. Shelton State expects to reevaluate that decision on April 3.
- Stillman College has cancelled the annual Spring Choir Tour but has left its campus open to students who are unable to travel home due to the virus.
- The Bama Theatre cancels the "Black Tony of the Rickey Smiley Morning Show - Live and Husslin Comedy Tour" show that was scheduled for 3/14. The Bama Theatre's Facebook page says the show will be rescheduled. The Facebook page also says future shows at the Bama Theatre will be evaluated on a "case-by-case" basis.
- Focus On Senior Citizens Tuscaloosa has cancelled all activities until March 20. Their Hot-Meals program will be available "to-go" only
- The Tuscaloosa Public Library will be closed until March 22. No Late-Fees will be assessed while the Library is closed.
- First Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa will discontinue worship services and activities from March 15-28. Services will air on Facebook Live at 10 a.m. on Sunday March 15.
- Church of The Highlands will be online only on March 15. This includes the Tuscaloosa Location, no information about future Sundays is known as of now.
- Innisfree Tuscaloosa will be closing until further notice as of 3/16.
- Heat Pizza Will be closed from 3/15 - 3/19 for Spring Break and additional cleaning.
This list will be updated throughout the day as more businesses and organizations decide their reaction to the COVID-19 Coronavirus.